Kids need to play actively every day, at home, in schools and in communities, because active play is critical to a child's physical, emotional, and cognitive development. That is why KaBOOM! is dedicated to giving kids the childhood they deserve by bringing play to those who need it most. One way KaBOOM! is doing that is through our Imagination Playground™ initiative, which brings the innovative, loose-parts, playgrounds to school and community settings around the globe. We have witnessed the power of Imagination Playground™ to engage kids in creative play that is physically challenging and collaborative, fulfilling the needs of the whole child.
Imagination Playground™ consists of three core elements that foster a dynamic, child-centered environment:
Children play most creatively in settings they can manipulate. Sand and water, for example, serve as raw materials for creativity and sensory exploration. Imagination Playground™ provides a transformable environment that allows for many types of activities, empowering children to influence the space around them.
A wide array of movable objects allows each play session to become a new experience. With Imagination Playground™ Loose Parts, children can create their own narratives and games; build something and tear it down; or simply play to enjoy shapes and textures.
Play Associates provide an open setting in which children can direct their own play. These trained adults allow play activity to evolve by maintaining a safe and secure environment, and by renewing and varying the supply of Loose Parts. Their job is to ensure a diverse, creative play space.
How does it work?
Imagination Playground™ provides an innovative play opportunity that can be instantly activated anywhere, anytime. We’ve hosted Imagination Playground™ sessions at schools, community centers, museums, public parks, street fairs, and even office settings. The possibilities are endless!
Watch the video above to see the power of Imagination Playground™ and check out our answers to frequently asked questions.
Benefits of Imagination Playground™
- Allows young children to develop strong skills in creativity, communication and collaboration, as well as physically challenge themselves in a safe environment
- Allows children to develop language, communication and problem solving skills that are key to cognitive development
- Promotes cooperation, self-regulation, the development of social relationships and other elements crucial to social-emotional development
- Is an easily customizable system that instantly activates small and non-traditional spaces into a great place to play
- Can be added to existing playgrounds to provide more holistic opportunities for play
- Provides professional development opportunities for teachers and childcare professionals with specialized Play Associate training
- Engages families and community members to become involved in their children’s play activities