About Community-Built Playgrounds
As one of the only public spaces specifically designed for kids, playgrounds are essential to thriving neighborhoods, communities, and cities.
Our Partner in Play, Landscape Structures, is the primary supplier of playground equipment to KABOOM! and is our partner in building playspaces with communities across North America.
- Receive a new, custom-designed playground and hand-crafted amenities to make the playspace truly yours!
- Engage community members to work toward a common goal.
- Lead, in partnership with KABOOM!, a planning process to help you fundraise, build relationships, and develop media relations skills that will strengthen your community and can be used for future projects.
Eligibility and Qualifications
Opportunities for Community-Built Playspace grants are specific to certain cities or metropolitan areas within the United States. Find out where we currently have open opportunities.
- Provide services to a low-income and/or special needs community.
- Have no playground or need to replace an existing unsafe or outdated one.
- Work with your community, with guidance from dedicated KABOOM! Community Engagement and Build Managers.
- Work with your community to partially fundraise the cost of equipment.
- Own the land on which you wish to build, or have a long-term lease and get permission from the landowner to construct a playground.
- Demonstrate ability to recruit a team of parents, neighbors, and community members who are excited about serving on the planning committee for an eight to ten week period, plus recruit approximately 100 community members to participate on Build Day.
- Complete any needed site preparation on at least 2,500 square feet in order to create a flat, dirt surface. This may include, but is not limited to, removing old equipment or asphalt.
- Secure soil tests, utility checks, and construction permits in a timely manner.
- Identify community resources to secure additional in-kind contributions such as breakfast and lunch for Build Week, tools, restroom facilities, and a dumpster.
- Accept ownership and maintenance responsibilities for the playspace upon completion of project.
How to Apply
To prepare for filling out our online application, we recommend downloading and reviewing Application Preview to understand the information you'll need to complete the application.
Once you are ready, take our eligibility to quiz to quickly determine if your community is eligible for a Community-Built Playground opportunity.