About Adventure Courses
This new type of playspace was developed in response to the demands of kids and communities looking to engage older kids and teenagers. Adventure Course playspaces provide a fun, challenging option for physical activity.
Through our signature community-build model and the partnership of dedicated KABOOM! Community Engagement and Build Managers, your community will design and build an amazing playspace aimed at kids and teens, aged 10 and older.
- Receive a new, custom-designed adventure course playspace and hand-crafted amenities to make the playspace truly yours!
- Engage community members, including teenagers, to work toward a common goal.
- Participate and lead a planning process to help you fundraise, build relationships and develop media relations skills that will strengthen your community and can be used for future projects.
Eligibility and Qualifications
Opportunities for Community-Built Playspace grants are specific to certain cities or metropolitan areas within the United States. Find out where we currently have open opportunities.
- Serve youth from low-income population and demonstrate the need for engaging space for older kids.
- Engage older kids and teenagers, 13-years and older, in the planning process.
- Work with the community, with guidance from a dedicated KABOOM! Project Manager, to fundraise toward the cost of equipment.
- Own the land on which you wish to build, or have a long-term lease and get permission from the landowner to construct an adventure course.
- Demonstrate ability to recruit a team of parents, neighbors, teenagers and community members who are excited about serving on the planning committee for a six to eight week period, plus recruit approximately 100-200 community members to participate on Build Day.
- Complete any needed site preparation on at least 3,500 to 4,000 square feet in order to create a flat, dirt surface (e.g., removing old equipment or asphalt, etc.)
- Secure soil tests, utility checks, and build permits in a timely manner.
- Identify community resources to secure additional in-kind contributions such as breakfast and lunch for Build Week, tools, restroom facilities and a dumpster.
- Accept ownership and maintenance responsibilities for the playspace upon completion of project.
How to Apply
To prepare for filling out our online application, we recommend downloading and reviewing Application Preview to understand the information you'll need to complete the application.
Once you are ready, take our eligibility to quiz to quickly determine if your community is eligible for a Community-Built Adventure Course opportunity.