Our Dream Playground
Our new step-by-step project planner offers the money and know-how to make your playground dreams come true.
Tools and Resources
Get funding, learn the nuts and bolts of building a great place to play, and improve your local playground.
Build it with KaBOOM!
Build a great place to play for your community with the help of your neighbors, friends, KaBOOM! and our Funding Partners.
Save Play in Your Community
Get tips, ideas, and inspiration for making your community more playful.
Playful City USA
Our Playful City USA program recognizes cities and towns that embrace play as a priority.
Our collection of books will inspire you to bring more play to your family, neighborhood, and community at large.
What We Do
KaBOOM! is a national nonprofit dedicated to saving play for America’s children.
Who We Are
We are peppy, purple-adorned people who passionately promote the power of play!
Partner With Us
Our partners help us to create new playgrounds and to spread the word about the importance of PLAY.
Playful City USA Program Details
What is Playful City USA?
Playful City USA is a national recognition program sponsored by the Humana Foundation, honoring cities and towns that champion efforts to make play a priority through establishing policy initiatives, infrastructure investments and innovative programming. The program strives to recognize communities that demonstrate a commitment to ensuring all kids get the balance of active play they need to thrive.
How does your city qualify?
What is your city or town doing to keep kids, families and communities active, playing and healthy? We’re looking for communities that demonstrate a strong commitment to the cause of play with a defined a vision and action plan in collaboration with local partners to promote play opportunities. Whether you’re creating policies or developing programs, if your community is working hard to make play a priority, then you might have what it takes to be recognized as a Playful City USA community.
What are the selection criteria for Playful City USA designation?
To be honored as a Playful City USA designation, we’re looking for communities that:
- Demonstrate significant collaboration among nonprofit partners, foundations, municipal agencies, the business community, and local civic groups;
- Exhibit Mayoral or local governmental leadership on the cause of play;
- Express the ability and commitment to use data to address inequality through infrastructure investment, policy change and programming as demonstrated in their action plans.
Benefits of being a Playful City USA community
- Two Playful City USA highway road signs
- Personalized marketing activation kit that includes press releases, a social media plan, and marketing materials to support national recognition and increase awareness
- Webinars and peer-to-peer networking events to share and learn best practices from across the network and country
- Exclusive access to Policy Map, an online tool that enables cities to leverage up-to-date city data that can be used in combination with KaBOOM! playspace mapping data
- Opportunity to apply for grants and playground build opportunities offered by KaBOOM! that support targeted policies, programs, and infrastructure for your city or town
- Increased stature and competitive advantage for state and national grant opportunities Opportunity to apply to attend 2014 Playful City USA Leaders' Summit
- Recognition status embraced by realtors, visitor bureaus, developers, and investors to highlight your community as a great place to raise healthy and happy children
Read what mayors had to say about the recognition from some of our Playful City USA communities.
ParkScan and the Playground Report Card (pdf)
San Francisco, CA
Computer-based mapping and data collection
Joint-Use Agreements with Home Owners Associations (pdf)
Increasing playground access, improving maintenance