Our Dream Playground
Our new step-by-step project planner offers the money and know-how to make your playground dreams come true.
Tools and Resources
Get funding, learn the nuts and bolts of building a great place to play, and improve your local playground.
Become a Community Partner
Build a great place to play for your community with the help of your neighbors, friends, KaBOOM! and our Funding Partners.
Save Play in Your Community
Get tips, ideas, and inspiration for making your community more playful.
Playful City USA
Our Playful City USA program recognizes cities and towns that embrace play as a priority.
Our collection of books will inspire you to bring more play to your family, neighborhood, and community at large.
What We Do
KaBOOM! is a national nonprofit dedicated to saving play for America’s children.
Who We Are
We are peppy, purple-adorned people who passionately promote the power of play!
Partner With Us
Our partners help us to create new playgrounds and to spread the word about the importance of PLAY.
The KaBOOM! Team
At KaBOOM!, our offices are purple, our desks are cluttered with toys, and our minds are filled with visions of great community-built playspaces. To meet our staff, click on each of the department headings to the right.
- 50 Best Nonprofits to Work For – The NonProfit Times (2013)
- 50 Best Nonprofits to Work For – The NonProfit Times (2011)
- 50 Best Nonprofits to Work For – The NonProfit Times (2010)
- Golden Halo Award – Cause Marketing Forum (2006)
- Director’s Award – Committee to Encourage Corporate Philanthropy (2006)
- Nonprofit Innovation Award – Amazon.com (2005)
- Best Association/non-profit – PR NEWS Corporate Social Responsibility Awards (2005)
- Social Capitalist Award – Fast Company magazine (2003)
- One of America's Best Charities – Worth magazine (2002)
- Chairman's Commendation – U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (2001)
- Special Innovation Award – Peter F. Drucker Foundation (2000)
Darell Hammond - Awards and recognitions
- Lewis Hine Distinguished Service Award – National Child Labor Committee (2012)
- U.S. Social Entrepreneur of the Year – Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship (2011)
- Impact 30 Social Entrepreneurs – Forbes (2011)
- Health Hero – WebMD (2011)
- Upstander! Award – Facing History & Ourselves (2011)
- Social Entrepreneurship Award and Honorary Degree – Stevenson University (2011)
- 40 Under 40 award – Washington Business Journal (2010)
- American Express NGen Leadership Award – Independent Sector (2010)
- Lifetime Achievement Award – President’s Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition (2010)
- NYU Stern’s Satter Social Entrepreneur of the Year Award (2008)
- Jefferson Award for Greatest Public Service Benefiting the Disadvantaged (2008)
- Honorary Doctoral Degree – Ripon College (2008)
- Children's Mental Health Award – NARSAD (2007)
- President's Volunteer Service Award (2004)
- Power and Influence Top 50 – The NonProfit Times (2004)
- Washingtonian of the Year – Washingtonian magazine (2003)
- Fellow – Ashoka: Innovators for the Public (2003)
- 40 under 40 – Crain's Chicago Business (2000)
- Making a Difference Award – Diet Coke (1999)