With their dreary hallways and drab facades, most schools look more like hospitals than like centers for creativity, learning, and play. How can we expect to inspire students in such uninspired surroundings?
These amazing schools break the mold. They understand that playful environments are conducive to serious learning, whether in the classroom, hallway, or schoolyard. Let's hope more schools follow their lead!
- Ecole Maternelle Pajol, a kindergarten in Paris, France. Photo via Palatre & Leclère.
- Kindergarten Kekec in Ljubjana, Slovenia. Photo via Arhitektura Jure Kotnik.
- Fuji Kindergarten in Tokyo, Japan. Photo via Domus.
- Villiers High School in London, UK. Photo via Clara Gaggero.
- Maria Grazia Cutuli Primary School in Herat, Afghanistan. Photo via IaN+.
- Arreletes Day Care Centre in Els Alamús, Spain. Photo by Jordi Anguera, via Xavier Vilalta Studio.
- ESGE Secondary School in Genolier, Switzerland. Photo via ipas.
- Antas Education Centre in Porto, Portugal. Photo by José Campos via Arhitectural.
- Cotham School in Bristol, UK. Photo by Jaimee Woodley, via Playscapes.