Build it with KABOOM! pairs one of our dedicated funding partners with a community partner, that's you, who then come together to plan and build a brand-new playground. Our community-built playgrounds generate a tangible, achievable win for your community, transforming your space into a great place to play for kids and families.
- Receive a new, custom-designed playground and hand-crafted amenities to make the playspace truly yours!
- Engage community members to work toward a common goal.
- Participate and lead a planning process to help you fundraise, build relationships, and develop media relations skills that will strengthen your community and can be used for future projects.
Eligibility and Process
Build it with KABOOM! grant opportunities are based on geographic locations where and when KABOOM! currently has funding. KABOOM! encourages potential community partners to apply in advance. As grant opportunities present themselves, KABOOM! can quickly be in touch with you to schedule the next steps in the application process.
KABOOM! is currently seeking applicants in the following cities/metropolitan areas. If your community isn't within one of the communities listed below, we do not recommend applying at this time. Please check this page regularly for changes in our eligible communities, or subscribe to our Grant Alerts to receive email notifications. Last updated 02/16/2021
- Greater Los Angeles area
- San Francisco Bay Area
- Crowley County
- East Colfax Corridor
- Montrose County
- Otero County
- Rio Grande County
- Greater Atlanta area
- Greater Chicago area
- Prince George County
- Twin Cities
- North Carolina
- Fort Worth
- Salt Lake City
- Washington D.C.
- Greater Washington D.C. area (DMV)
- Serve a low-income and/or special needs community.
- Have no playground or need to replace an existing unsafe or outdated one.
- Work with the community, with guidance from a dedicated KABOOM! Project Manager, to fundraise toward the cost of equipment.
- Own the land on which you wish to build, or have a long-term lease and get permission from the landowner to construct a playground.
- Demonstrate ability to recruit a team of parents, neighbors, and community members who are excited about serving on the planning committee for an eight to ten week period, plus recruit approximately 100 community members to participate on Build Day.
- Complete any needed site preparation on at least 2,500 square feet in order to create a flat, dirt surface (e.g., removing old equipment or asphalt, etc.)
- Secure soil tests, utility checks, and build permits in a timely manner.
- Identify community resources to secure additional in-kind contributions such as breakfast and lunch for Build Week, tools, restroom facilities, and a dumpster.
- Accept ownership and maintenance responsibilities for the playspace upon completion of project.
A Build it with KABOOM! grant provides the facilitation and support of an experienced Project Manager as community members embark on a 5–12 week planning process. After selection, all partners will join together for a community Design Day, inviting play experts (the kids, of course) to design their dream playspace. Your hard work and required weekly planning will result in a six-hour community-build day, where you'll transform your community space to include a permanent play structure and site enhancements that will make your space 100% unique to your community. Site enhancements vary for each project due to location, budget and scope of project; please see our playground enhancement projects to brainstorm what projects may be part of your community-space vision.
The KABOOM! team is always ready to talk to you about Build it with KABOOM! grants. If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our experts will follow-up with you as soon as possible.