Introducing our newest playspace innovation: KaBOOM! Adventure Courses!
This new type of playspace was developed in response to the demands of kids and communities looking to engage older kids and teenagers. Through our signature community-build model and with the leadership of our Project Managers, communities will design and build an amazing playspace aimed at kids and teens, aged 10 and older. Adventure course playspaces provide a fun, challenging option for physical activity.
- Receive a new, custom-designed adventure course playspace and hand-crafted amenities to make the playspace truly yours!
- Engage community members, including teenagers, to work toward a common goal.
- Participate and lead a planning process to help you fundraise, build relationships and develop media relations skills that will strengthen your community and can be used for future projects.
The KaBOOM! team is always ready to talk to you about our community-built adventure courses. Use the "Help" button below to send us a message and one of our experts will follow-up with you as soon as possible.
Eligibility and process
KaBOOM! Adventure Course grant opportunities are based on geographic locations where and when KaBOOM! currently has funding. KaBOOM! encourages potential community partners to apply in advance. As grant opportunities present themselves, KaBOOM! can quickly be in touch with you to schedule the next steps in the application process.
To qualify, applicants must:
- Serve youth from low-income population and demonstrate the need for engaging space for older kids.
- Engage older kids and teenagers, 13-years and older, in the planning process.
- Work with the community, with guidance from a dedicated KaBOOM! Project Manager, to fundraise toward the cost of equipment.
- Own the land on which you wish to build, or have a long-term lease and get permission from the landowner to construct an adventure course.
- Demonstrate ability to recruit a team of parents, neighbors, teenagers and community members who are excited about serving on the planning committee for a six to eight week period, plus recruit approximately 100-200 community members to participate on Build Day.
- Complete any needed site preparation on at least 3,500 to 4,000 square feet in order to create a flat, dirt surface (e.g., removing old equipment or asphalt, etc.)
- Secure soil tests, utility checks, and build permits in a timely manner.
- Identify community resources to secure additional in-kind contributions such as breakfast and lunch for Build Week, tools, restroom facilities and a dumpster.
- Accept ownership and maintenance responsibilities for the playspace upon completion of project.
The KaBOOM! Adventure Course program provides the facilitation and support of an experienced Project Manager as community members embark on a six to eight week planning process. After selection, all partners will join together for a community Design Workshop, inviting the youth that will utilize the adventure course to design their playspace.
The planning process culminates in a six-hour community-build day, where your community will transform your space to include a permanent play structure and site enhancements that make the space unique to your community. Site enhancements vary for each project due to location, budget and scope of project; please see our playground enhancement projects to brainstorm what projects may be part of your community-space vision.
Adventure Course gallery