Each summer, parents dole out hefty amounts of cash to keep their children entertained. Yet the wildly popular recent video about Caine's Arcade -- which chronicled the creation of a cardboard arcade built by a bored boy who had to tag along with his dad to work last summer -- proved that not only can a bit of boredom fuel ingenuity and creativity, but also that kids don't need a whole lot to occupy themselves.
This summer, try giving your wallet a break and your kids a cardboard box. Even better, give them a dozen boxes so they can build their very own pop-up playground! Get inspired by some of our favorite photos of cardboard box play from around the web:
- Better than TV: Playing in the TV box, via mollypop (cc).
- Boxes make for great costumes, too! via Bellelli Educación.
- What's for sale? via Modern Parents Messy Kids (cc).
- Peek-a-boo! via Apartment Therapy.
- Open for business, via Takoma Park Cooperative Nursery School.
- Little boxes make for wonderful little worlds, via davidfntau (cc).
- Cardboard box playground, via Design with Play.
- Tweens built this bridge... out of boxes! via Grass Stain Guru.
- A city of boxes, via James Nash (cc).
- Is anyone home? via Create with Your Hands.
- Kids race their cars in the Kindy 500! via Crown Point Community.com.
- Cardboard boxes can play at playgrounds, too! via Nomadic Lass (cc).
- A respite from the heat, via Play Crane.
- A miniature world in a giant box, via The Imagination Tree.