Our Dream Playground
Our new step-by-step project planner offers the money and know-how to make your playground dreams come true.
Tools and Resources
Get funding, learn the nuts and bolts of building a great place to play, and improve your local playground.
Build it with KaBOOM!
Build a great place to play for your community with the help of your neighbors, friends, KaBOOM! and our Funding Partners.
Save Play in Your Community
Get tips, ideas, and inspiration for making your community more playful.
Playful City USA
Our Playful City USA program recognizes cities and towns that embrace play as a priority.
Our collection of books will inspire you to bring more play to your family, neighborhood, and community at large.
What We Do
KaBOOM! is a national nonprofit dedicated to saving play for America’s children.
Who We Are
We are peppy, purple-adorned people who passionately promote the power of play!
Partner With Us
Our partners help us to create new playgrounds and to spread the word about the importance of PLAY.
Our Mission & Vision
KaBOOM! is a national non-profit dedicated to saving play for America's children.
Our mission is to create great playspaces through the participation and leadership of communities. Ultimately, we envision a place to play within walking distance of every child in America.
Like many non-profits, KaBOOM!, exists to solve a problem: The Play Deficit. Our children are playing less than any previous generation, and this lack of play is causing them profound physical, intellectual, social, and emotional harm.
Not enough playspaces are being built; those that exist are often in disrepair. Fears surrounding lawsuits and safety are trumping common sense, resulting in sterile, uninspired play environments. Recess is being eliminated from our nation’s schools. Kids are overscheduled, and in their free time, many choose to stay indoors, lulled by television, computers and video games.
The Play Deficit is an important problem, and it is imperative that we solve it to ensure our children have long, healthy, and happy lives. The decline of play is closely linked to:
- Childhood obesity
- Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity, anxiety disorders and depression
- Violence and other behavioral problems
- Stunted social, cognitive, and creative development
- Lack of green spaces in cities and suburbs
- Fragmented communities
- Failing schools
We fight this troubling play deficit, and its many related problems, through three central strategies:
- Constructing innovative, kid-inspired playspaces, using a community-build model that improves the well-being of the children we serve as well as the neighborhoods in which they live.
- Sharing the knowledge and tools needed for anyone to find, improve, and/or build playgrounds on their own.
- Building a broad movement driven by research, analysis, policy, and community engagement.
In saving play, we are creating:
- Healthier, happier, and smarter children
- Greener cities
- Better schools
- Stronger neighborhoods
To date, KaBOOM! has built over 2,000 playgrounds, saving play for over 5.5 million children.